Review of Up In Flames (Flirting with Fire Book 2) by Jennifer Blackwood
When seasoned firefighter, Reece, is shot at the scene of a fire, the nurse practitioner who stitches him up is the one woman who hates him - his sister's best friend, Sloane. And when I say hate, I mean HATE. Why does she hate him so? She propositioned him previously during a night when she was already feeling low thanks to her douchey ex, and he turned her down in really the cruelest way possible, then proceeded to bed all the nurses in her department. Yeah...ouch!
But Erin, Sloane's friend and Reece's sister, tells her she knows a way Sloane can get a little even, Sloane takes her up on it and bids and wins him at a fundraising auction. Now Reece is hers to make do what she wants. Does Reece dare back out? Not if he wants to keep his job, ordered to do so by his boss, the chief who has always had it out for him.
As the two spend time together, some of Sloane's anger seems to abate, and the two start thinking of indulging in their MUTUAL attraction. But, Sloane's still not sure if she can trust Reece, considering the harsh way he rejected her before and that he is a player at heart, and Reece is still so damaged by his ex's betrayal that he can't even think of defining whatever it is the two of them are starting to develop. Will they ever be on the same page?
I wanted to love Up in Flames, unfortunately I just never connected with Reece and Sloan. They were kind of boring I guess you could say. Not to mention that although their banter was sometimes witty and fun, a lot of the times, it veered into the mean and vicious territory. Enemies to lovers can be a hard trope to balance, to do right, and I'm afraid the author didn't quite find the right balance here between the enemies and the lovers. Too much enemies and not enough lovers. Still, I see potential in the writing, and in this series, so I'll probably read more of this series.
ARC via NetGalley.
#bookreview #newrelease #UpInFlames #FlirtingWithFireSeries #JenniferBlackwood #firefighter #enemiestolovers #contemporaryromance #NetGalley #ARC
When seasoned firefighter, Reece, is shot at the scene of a fire, the nurse practitioner who stitches him up is the one woman who hates him - his sister's best friend, Sloane. And when I say hate, I mean HATE. Why does she hate him so? She propositioned him previously during a night when she was already feeling low thanks to her douchey ex, and he turned her down in really the cruelest way possible, then proceeded to bed all the nurses in her department. Yeah...ouch!
But Erin, Sloane's friend and Reece's sister, tells her she knows a way Sloane can get a little even, Sloane takes her up on it and bids and wins him at a fundraising auction. Now Reece is hers to make do what she wants. Does Reece dare back out? Not if he wants to keep his job, ordered to do so by his boss, the chief who has always had it out for him.
As the two spend time together, some of Sloane's anger seems to abate, and the two start thinking of indulging in their MUTUAL attraction. But, Sloane's still not sure if she can trust Reece, considering the harsh way he rejected her before and that he is a player at heart, and Reece is still so damaged by his ex's betrayal that he can't even think of defining whatever it is the two of them are starting to develop. Will they ever be on the same page?
I wanted to love Up in Flames, unfortunately I just never connected with Reece and Sloan. They were kind of boring I guess you could say. Not to mention that although their banter was sometimes witty and fun, a lot of the times, it veered into the mean and vicious territory. Enemies to lovers can be a hard trope to balance, to do right, and I'm afraid the author didn't quite find the right balance here between the enemies and the lovers. Too much enemies and not enough lovers. Still, I see potential in the writing, and in this series, so I'll probably read more of this series.
ARC via NetGalley.
#bookreview #newrelease #UpInFlames #FlirtingWithFireSeries #JenniferBlackwood #firefighter #enemiestolovers #contemporaryromance #NetGalley #ARC






Comments
Post a Comment