Skip to main content

Excerpt: Burning for Autumn (Police and Fire: Operation Alpha) (On Call Book 1) by Freya Barker


When Autumn McCoy accepted a temporary work contract in Durango, she thought it would be a safe way to add some spark to her existence. She may be getting more than she bargained for when she finds herself the target of impending danger.The outspoken forty-two-year-old isn’t prepared for that spark to ignite flames threatening to engulf every aspect of her life.

Buried under the weight of responsibilities, all interim Chief of Police, Keith Blackfoot, wants is to get back to good old-fashioned detecting. He gets his chance when an encounter with a feisty redhead seems to incite a wave of arson cases. Although a visit from friend and firefighter, Roman “Chief” Proudfit, provides some direction, he’s left to battle an invisible menace fueling fires that could leave his town—and his heart—in ashes.

Her right hand slips behind my neck, tugging me close as she drops her head back against my arm.

I willingly comply, lowering my face close to hers. I pull her bottom lip between mine, sucking at the plump flesh before giving it a nip with my teeth. The tightening of her hand on my neck tells me she likes a little pain with her pleasure. Instead of taking her mouth, as she’s expecting, I slide my lips down the exposed column of her neck, nibbling at the sensitive spot right by her shoulder. Pressing kisses all the way down to the swell of her breast, I use my free hand to pull the fabric of her dress and bra to the side, and lift her to me.

Her skin is delicate, almost translucent, and garnished with freckles. She smells fresh, light, something vaguely citrusy. Her pale pink nipple is tight and darkening with her arousal when I bend my head, taking her in my mouth. A deep moan rewards me when I pull hard, pressing the tip against the roof of my mouth with my tongue.

Her taste, soft skin, and open responsiveness has my cock straining in my jeans, weeping precum. I let her slip from between my lips and slide down the bench, kneeling in front of her, easing her legs apart as I push up her dress.

She looks fucking beautiful and wanton—one tit exposed, her white thighs splayed open, black underwear peeking from under the bunched up skirt—but most stunning is her face with the deep flush staining her cheeks and lips, and those shimmering green eyes burning into mine.

“I’m exposed,” she says, although she doesn’t seem in the least bothered with her partial nudity.

“I know,” I mumble, my lips finding the tender flesh on the inside of her thigh. I inhale the scent of her arousal, and I feel it’s warm evidence when I pull the gusset of her panties aside with my fingers, craving her taste.

Keith…”

Spurred on by the plea in her voice, I press my face between her thighs, lapping at her slit with my tongue. Her legs spread even wider and her hands land on my head, holding me in place as she rolls her hips. Christ, this woman is going to make me blow. I slide first one, and then a second finger inside her, while my lips and teeth work her protruding clit. The moment I feel the ripple of her walls clamping on my fingers, I lift my head to watch her climax.

It’s only then I notice the familiar pitch of sirens in the valley below.

Almost immediately my phone starts buzzing in my pocket.



Freya Barker inspires with her stories about 'real’ people, perhaps less than perfect, each struggling to find their own slice of happy.

She is the author of the Cedar Tree and Portland, ME Series, the Northern Lights Collection and the Rock Point Series. She is also co-author of the SnapShot Series.
To see Freya's complete backlist, or to find out what is coming down the pipe, visit freyabarker.com.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: One Little Lie by Whitney Barbetti

Review of One Little Lie by Whitney Barbetti ONE LITTLE LIE Hollis is a good girl with a crush on a broody musician. Unfortunately, that boy, Adam, hates her. Why? Because the chip on his shoulder leaves him thinking good girl, rich girl Hollis is a lemming like everyone else in their small town. Which makes it even more unfortunate when years after their high school encounter, Hollis' best friend tries to stick up for her and ends up telling her parents that Adam is the the boyfriend Hollis doesn't actually have. Oops. How will Hollis ever convince Adam to go along with her little lie? I really liked One Little Lie. Hollis is a really naive girl, but she has such a huge heart that I couldn't help but fall in love with her spirit. She's so sweet, so compassionate, the kind of person this world needs more of. Adam, on the other hand, eh, he didn't do much for me. His chip on the shoulder, broody asshole attitude did nothing to endear me to him, but because H...

Review Blitz: The Challenge by Penelope Ward

Title: The Challenge: A Single Dad Romance Author: Penelope Ward Genre: Standalone Contemporary Romance Tropes: Single Dad, Second Chance, Forced Proximity Friends to Lovers, Small Town, Found Family Release Date: August 30, 2026 BLURB From New York Times bestselling author Penelope Ward comes a new, STANDALONE contemporary romance… Nothing says welcome home like accidentally moving in with your first heartbreak…and his little girl. Coming back to my small Wyoming hometown was supposed to be temporary. I only planned to stay long enough to help my ailing mother and sort through the mess of my family’s old belongings. Instead, I somehow ended up living in Evan Ricci’s house. The single dad now owned a bunch of properties and one of them was the place I’d rented. He’d taken it off the market and moved in before I got there. I just never got the memo. Unfortunately, there was no other place in town available, so Evan let me stay. Evan—the guy my parents took in years a...

Review / Release Blitz: Because You're Mine by S.A. Clayton

NEW RELEASE Release Date: February 21 Buy Here Quinn can’t see a way out of this mess. Her uncle just passed away, leaving her his struggling pub and she’s fighting to keep her head above water. The only bright spot of her days is when Wes comes in. Wes, the boy that she had a crush on in high school and who just moved back to town. When Wes asks her out, she wonders if she can really handle a new relationship on top of everything else on her plate. Wes can’t stay away. He just got back to town and has been stopping by Quinn’s pub every night for a chance to see the feisty woman that he’s always had a crush on. When he sees how stressed she is, all he wants to do is help, but Quinn turns him down. When Wes goes behind her back to help, will Quinn be able to forgive him or will Wes lose the girl of his dreams? MY REVIEW Quinn doesn't know why her old high school crush, Wes, keeps hanging out at her bar every night, but she does know it's not because ...