Skip to main content

Review: HateMates by J.D. Hollyfield


✨Let’s celebrate! It’s release day for HATEMATES by J.D. Hollyfield! Grab it at your favorite retailer!

#OneClickHere
https://geni.us/HateMates

Why you need to #ONECLICK this book…
🔥Strangers to Lovers
🔥Stuck Together/Forced Proximity
🔥Bodyguard
🔥A+ Banter
🔥Alpha Hero
🔥Emotional Scars
🔥Grumpy/Sunshine
🔥Lovers in Denial


From J.D. Hollyfield, author of Power, comes a devilishly spicy, enemies-to-lovers romance about overcoming the past, undeniable attraction, and finding love in the untimeliest of ways.

A best friend, a stalker, and a bodyguard walk into a bar…

Current status: Living my best life. *Flips hair* What more could a girl want?

Just kidding.

My life has gone to shit. All the fun, late nights, and single life come to a screeching halt when I find myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Now, thanks to my overbearing best friend, I’ve adopted a guard dog to keep me safe until they find the guy who attacked me.

Insert Tate Deveraux, my newest inconvenience. He’s brawny, not bad on the eyes, and a pain in my ass. Not only am I stuck with him until I’m out of danger, but he’s moving in with me.

He’s become a nuisance in my life and needs to go—stalker be damned. So do the urges to strip him naked and see if the rumors about hand size hold true. I blame my crush on booze and the kiss that should have never happened.

The simmering attraction between us is undeniable, but he’s made it clear I’m just a job. With lines being crossed and my life at stake, I guess I’ll find out if he’s better at keeping me safe or sated.

MY REVIEW


Mindy works two jobs just to pay the rent. One at a bar, one on the sets of low level movies. It's thanks to one of those jobs that's she's found herself the target of a menacing threat. Cue her best friend and her man "to the rescue". Now she's got a roommate she doesn't want or doesn't like, who is supposedly there to protect her. But from what she can tell, all Tate is doing is annoying the hell out of her and driving her (and her body) nuts. Eventually, the two will have to give into their obvious chemistry, despite their outward contempt.


Tate's got a long list of issues. He doesn't think he's at all the man for anything but doing his job until his newest assignment brings a sassy, independent woman who has as many issues as he does, into his life. Now he's trying to protect someone for whom he actually has feelings. He knows better than to let them cloud his mind while on the job, but he can't seem to help but fall for Mindy, even though he has no intention of doing anything about those feelings. Even when danger comes closer, all he intends is to protect her, not promise her commitment or anything...


These two are fire! The way they snarked at each other was so obviously just a cover for their attraction, and it was inevitable that it wouldn't be long before they gave into that attraction. And when they did it was so delicious. I wanted to hug each of them, though, because their individual baggage was so heavy that they couldn't just fall in love and live in happiness without so many obstacles. Enemies to lovers is one of my favorite tropes because of stories like HateMates - all the tension and the when will they give in, the hiding of feelings, and the sparks when they finally admit their feelings aren't contempt any longer - so much fun, so yummy, and the heartfelt relief when they emerge on the other side in love. Mindy and Tate are one of my favorite enemies to lovers couples, I wish J.D. would write a whole series about just them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review Blitz: The Challenge by Penelope Ward

Title: The Challenge: A Single Dad Romance Author: Penelope Ward Genre: Standalone Contemporary Romance Tropes: Single Dad, Second Chance, Forced Proximity Friends to Lovers, Small Town, Found Family Release Date: August 30, 2026 BLURB From New York Times bestselling author Penelope Ward comes a new, STANDALONE contemporary romance… Nothing says welcome home like accidentally moving in with your first heartbreak…and his little girl. Coming back to my small Wyoming hometown was supposed to be temporary. I only planned to stay long enough to help my ailing mother and sort through the mess of my family’s old belongings. Instead, I somehow ended up living in Evan Ricci’s house. The single dad now owned a bunch of properties and one of them was the place I’d rented. He’d taken it off the market and moved in before I got there. I just never got the memo. Unfortunately, there was no other place in town available, so Evan let me stay. Evan—the guy my parents took in years a...

You TV series

Wow, hubby and I watched You on Lifetime last night. It was creepy and suspenseful. Hubby likened it to Dexter , and I have to agree. Penn Badgley was on point - creepy, stalkery, but fascinating. I didn't think too much of Elizabeth Lail's acting, but I'm not sure if it was just that her character was bland, or if it was truly bad acting. Can't wait for next week!

Review / Release Blitz: Because You're Mine by S.A. Clayton

NEW RELEASE Release Date: February 21 Buy Here Quinn can’t see a way out of this mess. Her uncle just passed away, leaving her his struggling pub and she’s fighting to keep her head above water. The only bright spot of her days is when Wes comes in. Wes, the boy that she had a crush on in high school and who just moved back to town. When Wes asks her out, she wonders if she can really handle a new relationship on top of everything else on her plate. Wes can’t stay away. He just got back to town and has been stopping by Quinn’s pub every night for a chance to see the feisty woman that he’s always had a crush on. When he sees how stressed she is, all he wants to do is help, but Quinn turns him down. When Wes goes behind her back to help, will Quinn be able to forgive him or will Wes lose the girl of his dreams? MY REVIEW Quinn doesn't know why her old high school crush, Wes, keeps hanging out at her bar every night, but she does know it's not because ...