Review of What About Us (Panic Book 4) by Sidney Halston
Alex and Helen have a history. Partially wonderful, but ending in hate. So when she sees him again for the first time in years while she's working at the new club, Duality, she seems to be excited to see him. Is Alex as excited to see Helen? Eh not so much. In fact, she's the last person he'd ever want to see. Why would he want to see one of the people he despises the most in the world? And yet, the two cannot seem to stay away from each other. Their attraction is off the charts hot. But attraction seems to be the only thing they feel for each other than a lot of hate. Will they ever realize that hate is just the flip side of love?
I will be the first to admit I love a good enemies to lovers story. BUT it has to be balanced well with the love that must come, and unfortunately, in this latest book in the Panic series, the balance is a bit skewed. Alex especially, is a hateful character. He's an absolute dick to Helen for most of the story, even after he found out she didn't deserve all the contempt he felt for her. Sigh... The other reason for 3.5 stars? I just didn't really connect with either Alex or Helen or their story. I wanted something more for them and I just didn't feel it, or perhaps more accurately, they didn't feel it. Too much negative and not enough positive emotion. Lastly, the ending was all wrapped up way too neatly and quickly. It was rushed and felt like maybe the author just didn't like the way the story was going and wanted to get it over with. And that is a damn shame, because I've loved the rest of this series. I still love it, and I know this author can write amazing characters and amazing love stories, so I will definitely be reading more from her. I'll just put this one down as a minor blip in her otherwise stellar writing.
ARC via NetGalley.
#bookreview #WhatAboutUs #ThePanicSeries #SidneyHalston #enemiestolovers #secondchanceromance #NetGalley #ARC
Alex and Helen have a history. Partially wonderful, but ending in hate. So when she sees him again for the first time in years while she's working at the new club, Duality, she seems to be excited to see him. Is Alex as excited to see Helen? Eh not so much. In fact, she's the last person he'd ever want to see. Why would he want to see one of the people he despises the most in the world? And yet, the two cannot seem to stay away from each other. Their attraction is off the charts hot. But attraction seems to be the only thing they feel for each other than a lot of hate. Will they ever realize that hate is just the flip side of love?
I will be the first to admit I love a good enemies to lovers story. BUT it has to be balanced well with the love that must come, and unfortunately, in this latest book in the Panic series, the balance is a bit skewed. Alex especially, is a hateful character. He's an absolute dick to Helen for most of the story, even after he found out she didn't deserve all the contempt he felt for her. Sigh... The other reason for 3.5 stars? I just didn't really connect with either Alex or Helen or their story. I wanted something more for them and I just didn't feel it, or perhaps more accurately, they didn't feel it. Too much negative and not enough positive emotion. Lastly, the ending was all wrapped up way too neatly and quickly. It was rushed and felt like maybe the author just didn't like the way the story was going and wanted to get it over with. And that is a damn shame, because I've loved the rest of this series. I still love it, and I know this author can write amazing characters and amazing love stories, so I will definitely be reading more from her. I'll just put this one down as a minor blip in her otherwise stellar writing.
ARC via NetGalley.
#bookreview #WhatAboutUs #ThePanicSeries #SidneyHalston #enemiestolovers #secondchanceromance #NetGalley #ARC



Comments
Post a Comment