Review of Playing House (Uptown Book 1) by Ruby Lang
When urban planner, Oliver's longtime acquaintance and fellow urban planner, Fay, ropes him into playing her boyfriend, to keep a clompy man from persistently and aggressively asking her out, he has no idea that their little plan will continue, or that they'll end up taking the fake part into the realm of reality. But when Fay finds out the little secret he's been keeping from her, will it hinder their newly developing relationship?
I am always on the lookout for diversity in my reading, especially characters that are more like myself (Asian), so I was so excited to find that Playing House had two Asian leads. Unfortunately, this story was too short to let me get to know and possibly fall in love with either Oliver or Fay, and that's a damn shame, as I could see potential in them, in the story, in the writing. I was hoping for a full-length novel where I could become really invested in Oliver and Fay. Unfortunately, just as I felt I was getting to know them a little, the story came to an abrupt ending, leaving me scratching my head and wondering if this was it. Sigh...
If you like down and dirty sex scenes, then this is most definitely not the story for you because there is only 1 scene and it's short and not at all descriptive. It's not completely fade to black, but it's pretty close. If you just want something short and more diverse than the average romance read, then you may want to pick this story up. Just don't go expecting either a full-length novel or an epic love story.
I do think this author has potential, though, so will probably read more of this series. Hopefully the next story in this series is a novel, rather than a very short (way too short) novella.
ARC via Give Me Books Promotions.
#bookreview #PlayingHouse #UptownSeries #RubyLang #novella #urbanplanner #Asian #fakerelationship #contemporaryromance #newrelease #GiveMeBooksPromotions #ARC
PLAYING HOUSE
I am always on the lookout for diversity in my reading, especially characters that are more like myself (Asian), so I was so excited to find that Playing House had two Asian leads. Unfortunately, this story was too short to let me get to know and possibly fall in love with either Oliver or Fay, and that's a damn shame, as I could see potential in them, in the story, in the writing. I was hoping for a full-length novel where I could become really invested in Oliver and Fay. Unfortunately, just as I felt I was getting to know them a little, the story came to an abrupt ending, leaving me scratching my head and wondering if this was it. Sigh...
If you like down and dirty sex scenes, then this is most definitely not the story for you because there is only 1 scene and it's short and not at all descriptive. It's not completely fade to black, but it's pretty close. If you just want something short and more diverse than the average romance read, then you may want to pick this story up. Just don't go expecting either a full-length novel or an epic love story.
I do think this author has potential, though, so will probably read more of this series. Hopefully the next story in this series is a novel, rather than a very short (way too short) novella.
ARC via Give Me Books Promotions.
#bookreview #PlayingHouse #UptownSeries #RubyLang #novella #urbanplanner #Asian #fakerelationship #contemporaryromance #newrelease #GiveMeBooksPromotions #ARC



Comments
Post a Comment